Email Engagement Manager (0278)
- Category:Digital Communications
- Location:New York, Washington DC, Atlanta, Oakland, CA
- :Full Time
The Email Engagement Manager is responsible for using email communication with current and potential supporters and members to advance AIUSA’s programmatic and organizational goals, as part of larger online engagement strategies. The Manager develops strategies, content, and calendaring to drive strong email messaging to key constituencies – both leveraging audiences to protect human rights with AIUSA and expanding the organization’s base of support. The Manager works across departments (including with staff managing campaigns, advocacy, fundraising, and membership) and with volunteer leaders to develop strategies and tactics to meet multiple objectives, while also maintaining a comprehensive strategy for overall list health and growth. The Email Engagement Manager reports to the Director of Online Engagement and works collaboratively with other staff in the Strategic Communications and Digital Initiatives Department and across the organization.
- Works with range of staff and volunteer leaders to develop email communication components of broader strategies for campaigns and initiatives, identifying how email communication can help achieve programmatic and organizational goals.
- Develops and manages overarching email communication strategy for the organization, to increase and leverage the base of supporters who can be mobilized to advance AIUSA’s mission and to use email to deepen people’s engagement (as activists and donors).
- Manages organization-wide email calendar that accommodates multiple stakeholders’ needs for email engagement, and communicates across the organization about the calendar and the strategy behind it.
- Manages all aspects of email copy and production.
- Develops and drives email list segmentation strategies to maximize engagement and list strength.
- Ensures that email content reflects AIUSA messaging.
- Conducts and analyzes testing regularly to identify effective strategies, messaging, and formatting of email communication.
- Compiles data constantly and provides insight and analysis to increase engagement and growth; shares data, analysis and insights across the organization.
- Closely monitors human rights and social justice developments in the news and closely monitors email communication from a range of other groups and individuals.
- Participates in brainstorming and strategy discussions to develop communications campaigns and tactics that include email engagement, social media, web, media, and other aspects.
- Keeps abreast of advances in technology and innovative thinking within the field, and applies them to AIUSA’s work.
- Regularly solicits and incorporates input from staff, members, and volunteers.
- Participates in shared responsibility and collaboration with the volunteer and internal and external constituents.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- BA/BS and at least 7 years relevant experience or MA/MS and 5 years relevant experience and/or sufficient relevant work experience.
- Experience working with and/or building an email list of at least 250,000 subscribers.
- Substantial experience developing email strategy and writing advocacy and fundraising emails, as part of broader communications and engagement efforts.
- Substantial experience managing both short-term, campaign-oriented email engagement and long-term, organization-wide email engagement strategy.
- Extensive experience working with CRM technology, constructing and troubleshooting email templates and web pages, as well as QA’ing HTML emails.
- Experience integrating, as well as working across, CMS/CRM technologies.
- Experience managing staff, vendors, and/or high-level volunteers.
- Experience balancing competing priorities and needs, with a client-service/partnership orientation and a diplomatic approach.
- Nonprofit experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to both engage and expand email supporter audiences/lists.
- Demonstrated ability to develop email communications plans that are part of larger digital, communications, and programmatic goals and campaigns.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including knowledge of AP-style guidelines and editing
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and manage time efficiently
- Ability to work autonomously and in a team environment
- Knowledge of and skill using various CRM packages.
- Knowledge of and skill using HTML, social media, open source CMS, blog platforms, SEO, web metrics software, multimedia editors such as FinalCut and Photoshop as well as a general technical proficiency.
- Ability to turn concepts and ideas into reality quickly and with limited resources (both human and financial).
- Diplomatic, collegial approach to engage with other staff, volunteer leaders, and members as partners and to identify solutions that meet multiple stakeholders’ needs.
AIUSA is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.